There’s been rumors for a long time now that Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich are going to reunite to make a sequel to ID4: Independence Day. If you consider the current wave of 90’s nostalgia, the idea doesn’t seem too far-fetched. There are sequels in the works for Men in Black and Ghostbusters, so why not ID4? I’ll tell you why. That’s the most ridiculous and idiotic film ever made by mainstream Hollywood. How do you top that? Here are my ideas:
1) The title should be ID4: Independence Day 2: Declare This!
2) Since one of the deciding factors in ID4’s ridiculousness was Bill Pullman’s horrible acting, he needs to be in this one. How about making it so he’s still president. The people of America decide to make him president for life largely due to his rousing war-time speech.
3) Possible plot: This time, the aliens come in peace. It turns out last time they came to Earth, the alien overlord left his cell phone here. The alien overlord picks up a Blackberry phone and says “I gotta get me one of these.” The end.
4) Possible plot: To take the sequel in a different direction, how about this one starts with Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum finding a treasure map that Randy Quaid had hidden away before he died saving Earth. With the help of Randy Quaid’s twin brother (also played by Randy Quaid) they go into the desert searching for Randy’s gold.
5) The day after tomorrow, the aliens arrive in 2012, realize they meant to get here at 3,000 BC, and then they are attacked by Godzilla, who comes to be nick-named The Patriot, and, in a final twist, it’s revealed the alien overlord is Philip Marlowe who wanted to remain anonymous.
6) Possible Plot: Aliens come to Earth to steal all of our natural resources. Finding out we have none, they go home.
Anyone else have ideas for ID4: Independence Day 2? Write them in the comments box below.
Also, if ridiculous films are your thing, consider taking the ridiculous film challenge.